How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am in a same-sex marriage. My Husband & I got married in

This answer was rated:

I am in a same-sex marriage. My Husband & I got married in New York in June 2012. We live in Brooklyn but may move to England in a few years. Would our marriage be recognized in the UK and would it give him the right to work there? Would he be able to file for dual citizenship/hold a UK passport also? If so, is there any sense to starting an application while still in the U.S.? or do you have to be resident there?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Your marriage will be recognised in the UK - but your husband will need to apply for a Spouse Visa if he wished to live here with you - this will give him the right to work - and eventually the right to apply fr citizenship
You can read more here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you