How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a uk resident. I would like to apply sister in

Customer Question

I am a uk resident. I would like to apply for my sister in law to visit me from jamaica for a few months. I would like to know which visa has the highest chance of her getting accepted i.e. family visa or visitor visa and what are the main requirements.
Is it in her favour that she has an American long term visa and has worked in the Caymans for the last ten years.
She has never over stayed or broken any visa requirements in any country.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
She may only apply for a family visitor visa if you are a British citizen or have ILR or have been granted asylum or humanitarian protection.
Previously, family visit visas used to have the right of appeal which is no longer the case, so there is not much advantage to applying for a general visitor visa or a family visitor visa.
However, if she is eligible to apply for a family visitor visa, she should apply for that and she must show evidence that she will return back home after her visit.
The fact that she has travelled elsewhere is good but she must also show family, employment property etc ties back home I.e. Reasons to return back home.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as a sister in law to her brother who i have recently separated from. would i meet the family member requirement?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
No, you would not.

She would need to apply for a general visitor visa.

All the best