How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My son is an American citizen and his fiancée is Canadian.

This answer was rated:

My son is an American citizen and his fiancée is Canadian. They both live ad work in Dubai U.A.E.
They intend to come and get married in the UK in September 2015 where their families and friends reside and will return to Dubai after the wedding. They do not intend to live in the UK and are financially self sufficient.
They are coming end of April to London for 2 weeks to give notice of marriage in Westminster register office. They were told that after entering the UK for a minimum of 9 days they could go and apply for a marriage licence in the register office.
They were also told that they need a marriage visa although they have always entered the UK without a visa, is this the case? and how and when do they need the marriage visa, before coming over to give notice of marriage in April 2015 or before coming to get married in September 2015?

They will both need to apply for a UK Marriage Visitor Visa. This Visa is for 6 months and they may use it to give notice of intention to marry in April and for the actual marriage in September. It is a multiple entry visa.

See here for the procedure involved:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sorry but your reply did not answer my question...What you told me is clearly written on the website that we checked before contacting you. The question is do they need the marriage visa BEFORE coming to the UK in April or BEFORE coming to the UK in September, or both? this is what we cannot find on the web.
They need the marriage visitor visa before coming to the UK in April i.e. they will need to show the visa when giving notice in April.

Hope this answers your query?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you