How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

there, just need some advice on what forms/ process i need

This answer was rated:

Hi there, just need some advice on what forms/ process i need to do to get my British passport.
I am aussie, 37 years old and been in London 11 years.
The visa's i have done are holiday maker(2 years) then de facto (2yrs), then got my indefinate leave to remain visa in September 2006. I have been saving up to get my UK passport. I am wondering do i need to take the 'living in the UK' test seeing i got my indefinate leave so long ago?
Also what form numbers do i need to fill out off the home office website? I get confused with naturalisation/passport differences. Can you possibly explain what i need to do as i get really confused on the home office website of what i am categorised into.
Thanks very much
Kind Regards,
Abby Smith
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have not naturalised and have no UK ancestry then you will have to naturalise as a UK citizen, obviously.
The home office webpage on naturalisation is here:
The form that you will have to complete is Form AP1, which is contained on the following link (together with guidance notes and the requirements booklet which are useful):
I’m afraid that every applicant has to take the “Life in the UK” test regardless of when they received their ILR, so you will have to meet this requirement as well unfortunately:-
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you