How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

, I am British (originally Croatian), work and live in

Customer Question

I am British (originally Croatian), work and live in London, have my own business as well. My brother has just registered a company here in the UK, he is a freelance music journalist, based in Croatia. The company was registered here as it's easier than doing it in Croatia. He has clients in Croatia which pay monthly amounts into the UK company account. My question is; can he be self-employed in the UK even though he is resident in Croatia? I know he can't be employed here as it requires a yellow / purple certificate and a NI number. However, how can he actually get the money he worked for? Can you help please? Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
There is nothing stopping him from receiving money in his UK company's bank account in the UK. This is a contractual matter between him and his clients in Croatia, if they are fine with the arrangement, then it is fine.
As he is not working in the UK, he cannot be said to be self employed in the UK, he would be self employed in Croatia.
So, to answer your question, yes, he may certainly get the money he worked for.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you misunderstood. I know he can get money from clients into the company bank account, as he has done work on behalf of the company. The question is about how to pay him in Croatia. So the money comes in as per the invoice into the UK company bank account. that money then has to be transferred to Croatia, to his personal bank account, where he is self-employed? So he works as a contractor for the company here? So he needs to submit an invoice as an individual to the company here to get the money and then pay tax and NI over there. The missing bit is on what basis does the company pay him? I guess it's like a company expense, as there is no contractual relationship between him and the company here. Do you understand what I mean?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
He may withdraw the money from the UK company account as dividends or as director's service fees.

There will be tax implications and a tax accountant should be consulted on the best way of structuring the arrangement.

Hope this helps