How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I want to bring to the UK my Syrian friend who is now residing

This answer was rated:

I want to bring to the UK my Syrian friend who is now residing in Istanbul he was working for the humanitarian relief as a volunteer within the aid families in Aleppo city before getting inton istanbul. I would like to stand as his guarantor and support him financially, how can we proceed with this request.
Many thanks Ann Rand
Hi Ann,
Thanks for your question.
Would this be for visit (ie. less than 6 months with no work) or permanently?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This would be permant and to live with me in my home which known and I have eighty thousand pounds in savings. He speaks many languages and has a very clean working history

Thanks, ***** ***** your answer now. 5 mins please.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am very impressed by your quick response

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
It is not possible under the immigration rules for a friend to sponsor a foreign national to come to the UK to work and live permanently. The immigration rules do not recognise friend-relationships as ones which give rise to visa rights.
Therefore, in your capacity as a friend you would not be able to sponsor him for a permanent stay.
Were you in a relationship and engaged to marry then this would change the situation. As a fiance or spouse he would then be eligible to apply for fiance or spouse visa, provided that you could prove the credibility of your relationship/marriage. This is because your savings are sufficient as cash savings to meet the financial requirement without having to rely on any element of income.
Unfortunately, as you are not proposed to marry him there is not much you can do to assist his efforts at coming to the UK.
The most typical form form of visa for a person in his situation is a Tier 2 Spsonsored Skilled Worker visa. This is where the applicant obtains a job offer from a UK based employer to sponsor them for Tier 2 purposes in order to come and work here. Were he to obtain this and remain on this visa here in the UK then he would be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain, which is the right to remain permanently in the UK without any further visas. The webpage on Tier 2 visas is here:
I really am sorry, I don’t agree with the position but there is little you can do – as a friend only – to assist him apart from helping him with job offers etc for the above Tier 2 purposes.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you