How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Next December I will have spent 4 years in the UK on tier 2

Customer Question

Next December I will have spent 4 years in the UK on tier 2 visa and once year on tier 5 - all with work permit.
I married an English born citizen, I will need to extend my visa in August 2015.
If I extend it as a spouse visa will that make my application for indefinite leave to remian more difficult in December ? will I then be bound by the financial rules for the spouse visa ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Switching to a spouse visa would be the worst thing that a person in your position could do commer apart from actually breaking the immigration rules.
This is because if you were to switch to a spouse visa then your residence period for 5 years to apply for ilr would switch from your current category to the spouse visa category.
This would mean that you would have to spend a further 5 years on your spouse visa before you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.
Additionally you would also have to meet the financial requirements.
You should remain on your current visa and apply for ilr after you reach 25 years required under your
Kind regards.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,