How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Iam currently living in the UK on a 2 year youth mobility visa

Customer Question

Iam currently living in the UK on a 2 year youth mobility visa which expires in July. However, my father was born in England so I recently applied for my British Passport including my fathers and grandmothers birth certificates. This was sent back to me without a British Passport as my parents weren't married however in a defaced relationship for numerous years. The letter back from Home Office instructed me that if I would need to provide a certificate of naturalisation or registration in order to be eligible for a British Passport. Is this the case even though my father was born in England? If so, are you able to give me any information about a certificate of registration?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Jaslyn Ahern
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I do not see how a certificate of registration or nAturalisation is relevant in your case as your father was born in the UK.
Unfortunately the law discriminates against people like you as your father never married your mother. You could apply to switch to an ancestry visa as you have a UK born grandparent.
See here for more information
Hope this helps