UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956
Immigration Law

WRS Citizenship

Hi there, I have been... Show More

Hi there, I have been in the UK for nearly 13 years now. I arrived in June 2002 and applied for business visa which was granted in June 2003 and valid for a year till 4th of June 2004. On 1st of May 2004 when Poland joined EU I was self employed and working but after a month I became employed by the same company. HR Department informed me that there is no need for me to obtain WRS as I was working in the UK legally before 1st of May 2004. In October I found a new job but three months later I came back to the previous employer at which I stayed until December 2014. I have never had Working Registration Scheme document as I was told that it was not needed because I was working legally in the UK when Poland joined EU. Now I want to apply for British Citizenship however it is said that WRS is needed in order to do so. I am unable to find clear information re the policy. My question is: do I need it in order to apply?

Thanks a lot,

Show Less
It appears that you were not required to apply under the WRS as you were working lawfully in the UK on 30 April 2004 under a valid business visa.
See regulation 2(2) of these Regulations:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1219/pdfs/uksi_20041219_en.pdf
Hope this helps