How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hiya, I am a UK citizen and sponsor of my wife and stepdaughter both of whom currently hav

This answer was rated:

Hiya, I am a UK citizen and sponsor of my wife and stepdaughter both of whom currently have Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. However, I have had to work in Vietnam as I cannot find work in the UK (I am 65).My wife and her daughter have accompanied me. I have been offered an extension to my contract but am aware that this will mean them being out of the UK for over 2 years and thus the suspension of their ILR. If we stay until when I retire back to the Uk, I know my wife will have to apply for a Returning Resident visa and if unsuccessful will have to wait 5 years before applying for ILR again. My query is about my stepdaughter. She gained her ILR as a dependant of my wife.Should we stay in VN any longer she will be over 18 by the time we return. What would be here prospects of applying for a visa that could eventually lead to the return of her ILR status?

I would suggest that British nationality applications be made for both your wife and stepdaughter as once they have British Citizenship, there is no restriction on how long they may remain out of the UK with you.

I would suggest that you consult a nationality expert to assist with the applications.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.This does not answer my query which relates to my stepdaughter's possibly changed status as an adult.

2. It does not relate to the immediate situation I outlined

3. Neither meet the conditions(length of residence) necessary for citizenship.

I repeat, I wish to know if there is a visa she might apply for should we stay in VN a further 2 years by which time she will be 18. She gained her status by being my wife's dependant. Will she still be deemed to be dependant? If she is no longer deemed dependant, is there a visa she can apply for that might eventually be converted to ILR?

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fine. Please continue. It did occur to me after I posted that I had not specified the UK.