How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have a refugee status 5 years leave to remain. I was

Customer Question

I have a refugee status 5 years leave to remain. I was declared an illegal entrant when I claimed asylum and my visit visa was cancelled. Is it really that I can not apply for british citizenship unless 10 years have passes since my entry? I heard this a new regulation came into force in 2015 could you please explain to me if this is true?.  Just to explain that I was granted in 2012 and I was told at that time that I can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years and then british citizenship after one year. please explain to me the situation right now and when can I apply for the citizenship?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law