How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6792
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

, I have slightly a complicated issue, but I will

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir,
I have slightly a complicated issue, but I will try and keep it very simple.
I am an expatriate (British Nationality) based in East Africa. I have recently applied for my son's British Passport. The passport office has asked me to present my mothers passport that had an ILR at the time I was born. My mother now a British too, at the time she delivered me (32 years ago), she had a Tanzanian passport with an ILR granted, which we have obviously now lost.
Who can I contact in the UK, who could trace the ILR information that was granted to my mum, she recalls it being around 1975-1977 when she got it?
Please can you assist.
Hello Abbas,

I would advise your mother to make a subject access request at a cost of 10 pounds under the Data protection Act 1998 to the Home Office to see if they have any records of her ILR status.

She may do so using form A:

Once proof of her ILR status is received from the Home Office, you may send this to the Passport Office. She will need to have a UK address where the information should be sent to.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you