How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

/Madam We are a couple, from Spain and Pakistan.

This answer was rated:

dear Sir/Madam
We are a couple, from Spain and Pakistan. My husband, Fareed, from Pakistan wants to apply for the permanent residence card.
Fareed is in the UK since 2005, we got married on 28th April 2010. He has never been on benefits although he never worked for about 1 year because his visa expired and he had to wait for the Home Office to reply and gives permission to get married. I got my permanent residence card in 2014.
Our questions are:
- do we have to provide his documents that cover the last 5 years or since he's been in the UK 2005?
- They ask details about me too, such as if I have been on benefits and what ones. I have only one letter from the jobcentre plus saying I have been on benefits and the dates but it doesn't say how much allowance I got. Would that be enough for the HO?
- they ask for the reference number of my residence card. I can see 2 numbers so I'm unsure about which one is the right one.
- we are using the form EEA (FM) version 01/2015, is that right?
Thank you very much.
Marta Gordon-Fernandez
Thanks for your patience.
When did you claim benefits and for how long?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom
I would need to check exact dates but it was 1 year and 2 months i think, from dec 2010- march 2012 more or less. I always volunteered during this time
I will tell you exact dates tonight
Thank you
Hi Marta
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The types of documents that you are expected to submit with the application are contained at section 5 of the following form:
The best way forward is to supply as much documentation as you can for the previous 5 years, because that is the period on which your husband’s application will be based.
The evidence that you have from the time which he arrived here since 2005 should be supplied as supporting evidence, but if there are things that you no longer have then they should not affect his eligibility unless they bring in to question his status or eligibility within the period from 2005 to 2015.
As to benefits, you should gather any other correspondence from the time you claimed benefits and check your bank records. If these do not confirm how much benefits and for how long you claimed them then you can write to the office from which you claimed them asking for details. If they say they cannot provide them then you should explain this in your statement and provide a copy of the letters with the application for permanent residence.
If applying for permanent residence under EEA rules then your husband should use the form on the link above
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer
Can you tell me how to find the ref number of my residence card?
I can submit it to you if you want
If you can attempt to attach it that would be great..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont see the way to attach the card im sorry. I did it via email but am unsure you got it
Hi Marta,
Can you let me have the two numbers just in writing please?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ukf(###) ###-####
Hi Marta,
I have a meeting now. I will be able to reply in about an hour..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem
Thanks for letting me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thomas

the dates when I claimed benefits are:



I can provide bank statements for the Home Office to see the allowance I got.



Hi Marta,
Sorry for the delay.
I think the reference number will be "18252953<7esp7702163F" but there will be space on the form to put another refence number and you can list the other one in there.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Thomas



You're welcome, Marta. Good luck.