How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My friend is a British citizen, and has 2 children also british

This answer was rated:

My friend is a British citizen, and has 2 children also british his wife is Libyan is it possible to get a passport for her
Thanks for your question.
Are they all in the UK?
If so how long have they been in the UK?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have all been in and out of the UK regularly, and stay here with me when here

When she has come to the UK previously has she simply entered on a visit visa?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes always on a Visitor Visa

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If she has no period of residence in the UK other than the visit then she does not qualify for a UK passport.
In order to obtain a UK passport, they would have to relocate and settle in the UK. Before they returned she would have to apply for and obtain a spouse visa. This would allow her to travel to the UK with the family in order to settle here. Obviously, if she got the spouse visa she would be allowed to work in the.
The visa would be granted for 27 months initially. Just before the expiry of this visa she would have to apply for an extension of the spouse visa. She would get a further 24 months and this would take her total period of residence in the UK up to 5 years. Just before she reaches 5 years she can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, which is the right to stay permanently in the UK.
Once she has obtained Indefinite leave to remain she can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided that she meets the requirements on the following page:
Once she has natuarlised she will attend a citizenship ceremony and receive her certification of naturalisation. She can then use the Certificate to apply for a UK passport.
There is no other way of getting UK citizenship other than to above for her I’m afraid.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you