How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

, I just finished studying my masters under tier 4 visa( I

Customer Question

Hi, I just finished studying my masters under tier 4 visa( I came to uk October 2013) and it expires 27 of June but my graduation is on 16th of July. I am 24 years old and all my family( my mum, my half brother and sisters) are British and live in London. My mum came to London when I was 4 years old. Being there for my graduation is what has slways dreamed of. I loved getting to know my siblings and I don't know how am going back to my country(Ethiopia) alone and live alone. Even though I cant live with them I at least want to spend my graduation with them. So what would be the consequences if I over stay my visa for a little bit? Like for less than 28 days and 90 days? And also what other options do I have to extend my visa to stay with my family? Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Do you plan on returning to the uk at any point in the future? If so what visa would you apply for?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, maybe another tier 4, family vist or spouse visa

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
A spouse visa application in the future would be unaffected by any overstay because your article 8 right to a family and private life generally supercedes an overstay.
The other visas that you might apply for will be affected in the following way.
Any overstay (whether less or more than 28 days) brings uncertainty in to your future applications and should really be avoided.
If you leave within 28 days of your visa expiring the you will not receive an automatic re-entry ban. This means that a new application will be “considered” but you will likely find that your chances of receiving an approval still drop considerably compared to if you had left before the expiry of your visa.
If you leave after 28 days then you will receive an automatic 1 year ban from applying for another visa. This means any application applied for within this time will be refused automatically. The overwhelming likelihood if you apply after the ban has expired is still that any future applications would be refused too even though they would be “considered” because of the overstay. ,
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,