How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have a grandson who17 years has been in Spainsince 2010 living

This answer was rated:

I have a grandson who17 years has been in Spainsince 2010 living in Spain his mother wants to send him to me so that he can get help with education how can I help her
Thanks for your patience.
What nationality is your grandson?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My grandson was born in Worthing hospital Sussex Uk that would make him Brittish

does this help

When was he born please?
Where and when were his parents born and what nationality are they now please?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was born on January 12 th1998 his parent are brittish his father died on March 2004 and my daughter took him to Spainjustafter that then she came back to Edinburgh in about 2007 and he went to pentland School till she went back to Spain in 2010

kind regard


Hi Janice,
Just to clarify, at least one of his parents was British at the time of his birth, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats is correct they lived in sussex


Hi Janice
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If one of his parents was British at the time of his birth and he was born in the UK then he would be automatically entitled to UK citizenship. So, if he does not have a passport yet then he can apply for one now.
This will obviously mean that he is able to travel to the UK and will face no issue entering.
As to education, it’s a bit more problematic because of his age. This is because he is at the age when he would usually be midway through doing his A-levels.
Althought A level education is free, he would probably have to drop down to do them from the start (ie. when normal students are 16), which is something to consider.
If he already has the Spanish equivalent of A levels and is looking to go to university then there is the issue of fees. If he has lived outside the UK for a period of time then he would not be regarded as being resident in the UK. This means that he would be classed as an international student for the purpose of the tuition fees, which means they would be about 4 times the normal amount.
If he were able to move to the UK and live here for a period of time (eg a year) then he would probably then be able to argue that he should be regarded as a domestic student for the purpose of tuition fees and therefore liable to pay the reduced tuition fees that normal UK citizen/UK resident student pay.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you