How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

, Please I will like to know if i qualify fot Indefinite

This answer was rated:

Please I will like to know if i qualify fot Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. I came into the UK in 2009 on a student visa. Afterwards, I had a post study visa. Before my post study visa expired, i got married and had to switch to a spouse visa. This was valid from March 2013 to sept 2015. I have not travelled for up to 180 days since I came into he UK.
I am due to extend my spouse visa before it runs out later in the year. I have 2 questions please;
1. Will I be able to apply for ILR instead since I have stayed in the UK for over 5 years?
2. If option 1 isnt possible, how soon can I apply to extend my spouse visa? Can I do that up to 3 months before it runs out? I plan to do same day service.
Thanks and I await your response.
No, you cannot qualify for ILR until you have been in the UK for 10 years under the lawful residence category
You may apply for an extension of your spouse visa using form FLR(M), you may do this 28 days before your current visa expires.
After you have been here for 5 years on your spouse visa, you may apply for ILR using form SET(M).
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. Just to be clear. I have to wait till August to extend my spouse visa since it runs out September 9th. I cannot apply earlier like end of June or July?
That is correct.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you