How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, I am a born and bred British citizen and my daughter

Customer Question

I am a born and bred British citizen and my daughter was born in the USA, where I was living at the time, while I was married to her father, a US citizen.
My daughter and I returned to the UK when she was 13 (around the time her father and I divorced) where we have lived since. She is now 22 years old.
My daughter holds a US passport which she doesn't use, but may choose to do so in the future, as well as a UK passport. Should my daughter apply for dual citizenship, and for what reasons should she need to this?
Many thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your daughter does not need to apply for Dual Citizenship - she simply has it by virtue of the fact that she is entitled to hold both passports.
However she need sto be aware that if she wishes her children to be British Citizens through her she needs to give birth in the UK
I am not sure if this covers your concerns - do please ask if it does not