How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am British citizen otherwise by decent (born and bread in

This answer was rated:

I am British citizen otherwise by decent (born and bread in UK) married to non British (Lebanese citizen), now living in Dubai.I am expecting a baby boy soon, I understand my baby will be able to claim British citizenship and apply for British passport straight away , is this correct?. can my baby pass citizenship to his children?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have citizenship otherwise than by descent then your child born outside the UK will be a UK citizen and you can apply for a UK passport for them in the normal way. However, they will have citizenship “by descent”.
Your chid will not automatically be able to pass on their UK citizenship to such of their own children that are born outside the UK. However,
However, if your child themselves had a child outside the UK then although they would not automatically be a UK citizen then could apply to register them as a UK citizen if your child had spent a period of three years in the UK at any point before the birth of their own child and had not left the UK during this period for more than 270 days. This would be registration under s3(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981
Please note that in either case you must check Lebanese nationality law to see if they permit dual citizenship. If they do not then by applying for your child’ passport you may prevent them from becoming a Lebanese citizen. This is something for you to check and consider with your wife.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom
Would the case regarding my baby's
Future Children ( ie my grandchildren in probably
30 years!!! Time ) be the same whether
they are then born in UK or abroad ?
Does it differ regarding my grandchildren entitlement
To British Citizenship whether
They are born in UK or abroad?
Assuming your child is born out of the UK:
- if you granchildren are born outside the UK then they will be able to register as stated above (ie. if your child lived in the UK for three years).
- if your granchildren were born in the UK then they would automatically be UK citizens and would not have to register.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you