How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

! I am in UK since November 2011, and in 2014 I took my

Customer Question

Hello! I am in UK since November 2011, and in 2014 I took my ILR (married with Britsh).  I and my husband are separated. We are living in different cities. I would like to know, if I can apply for British Citzenship? Thank you Junia

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Do you mean that you are no longer in a loving relationship?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
As you are separated from your husband it would be a deception to attempt to claim that you were still in a loving marriage. This means that instead of meeting the spouse requirements for naturalistion, you have to meet the standard requirements.
You will need to meet the standard requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.
Therefore, if you have been in the UK legally since November 2011 then you would reach 5 years legally in the UK in November 2016. Obviously, you would already have held ILR for more than a year at this point so you will have been “free from immigration time restrictions” for much longer than the required amount of time by then. This basically means you can apply as soon as you reach 5 years residence in the UK in November 2016.
You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,