How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have an Australian Passport, right to live in UK indefinitely,

This answer was rated:

I have an Australian Passport, right to live in UK indefinitely, was born in Australia before 1983 to Australian parents and I married to a British man 40+ years ago.
What is the easiest way to apply for a UK passport, please?
Can I use the standard 'first adult UK passport' application form from the post office?
Thanks for your question.
Please confirm that neither of your parents also held UK citizenship?
When did you obtain "indefinite leave to remain" in the UK?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe my parents were "British Subjects and Australian Citizens" as I was, on the cover of the passports years ago.

I believe I have had leave to remain since I applied for my first adult passport in about 1964. My family arrived in UK in about 1953.

How long have you lived in the UK up until now?
Does it say anything in your passport about having the right to remain indefinitely?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lived here since approx 1953. My own earliest passport was issued in London on 20/03 /1964, and the next one issued in 1966 has "Australian citizen and British Subject" on it's cover.

The passport I got when I changed my name to Akin-Smith on my marriage in 1971 has a stamp which reads: "given leave to enter the UK for an indefinite period." All my passports since then have this stamp

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport.
If you are married to a UK citizen then you will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-
The stamp that you have in your passport is effectively the same as having “indefinite leave to remain”. In order to apply for naturalisation you must have been free from immigration time restrictions, which you have been since you received the stamp in 1971.
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.
You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. On apply for naturalisation :-
Once you have obtained your certificate of naturalisation you will attend a citizenship ceremony, after this you can apply for a UK passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you