How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am on Tier 2 and have been here on this visa last 3 years

This answer was rated:

Hi I am on Tier 2 and have been here on this visa last 3 years working in the UK. I have a British Partner who I am in relationship since last 5 yrs now (she is currently with her 1st husband) and will be divorcing him when her kids are 10.Can I apply for ILR now instead of waiting another 2 yrs?
Thanks for your patience.
I'm afraid that if you have remained on your own tia 2 visa and have not switched to an unmarried partner visa then you will only qualify indefinite leave to remain once you have reached 5 years on this visa.
This is because a person can only apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of the visa category which they are currently in. Because the residence requirement for this is 5 years in your current visa this is what you must meet. I am sorry.
Kind regards
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you