How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was granted a visa on a 10 year route (British wife +

This answer was rated:

I was granted a visa on a 10 year route (British wife + British daughter) outside the rules. Will it be possible to switch to 5 year route and how ? What is the best possible option.(UKBA)
Do you mean that you have been granted a ten year multi entry visit visa?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10 year route to settlement under family life as a partner in 2003. I was wondering if I could switch to 5 year route to settlement and how ?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If it is the case that you have a long-term visa at the moment which allows you to live in the UK (ie. not a visit visa) and you meet the eligibility criteria for a spouse visa then you can apply to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK.
However, please note that if you do switch to a spouse visa then the 5 years residency that you will require for ILR will start from the date you receive your spouse visa, so that the time you have spent in the UK will effectively be unusuable for ILR purposes under the spouse visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the case where I am not legally married to my partner but leaving together for 5 years, could I apply for 5 year partner route ?
Hi, You could but only if you were able to prove that you had lived together for a period of two years at the date you applied for an unmarried partner visa because this is the requirement to prove you are unmarried partners. Tom
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the late response
Please could you list the criteria