How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have a friend who was born and lives in Nigeria, he wants

This answer was rated:

I have a friend who was born and lives in Nigeria, he wants to visit me in England, I need to write him a letter of invite, I know I need to sent some ID but I do not have a passport as I have never travelled outside of the UK, but I do have a driving licence, birth certificate and proof of my tenancy, I'm a housewife, so I do not work, therefore have no employment ( my husband is the bread winner). My question is do I NEED have a passport in order to invite him? (As he will need to apply for a general visa) he just wants to come for a holiday, he will be funding his own stay, and will be staying in a hotel....
Also where and to whom should I address this letter of invite? Do I send it to the Nigerian high commission in London or the Nigerian embassy in Nigeria?
I would be so grateful if you could advise me on this
Thank you in advance.
Thanks for your patience.
Are are you able to show that you will be able to pay the unforeseen expenses that could occur during their stay?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, because he will be paying his own expenses, for his flight and accommodation because he will be staying in Hotel he has yet to arrange all the details of his flight and the times I don't think he can proceed with anything though until he has the Visa I'm not quite sure how that works Also by writing this letter of invite.... Am I committing myself to any responsibility to his actions or welfare etc.i would like to see him, but I'm worried about my part in writing this letter for him. I know that him getting a Visa doesn't rely solely on the letter of invite.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If you were to sponsor him then you would execute a sponsorship declaration and confirm that you would meet the costs of his stay if he cannot afford them.However, if it is the case that you will simply be inviting him and not sponsoring him then you should draft a simply letter from you to him confirming that you and inviting him to visit you and the approximate dates proposed. Then you should go to a local solicitor and take your passport and a proof of address. A proof of address can be a utility bill or bank statement or council tax invoice which is no more than 3 months old.You should ask the solicitor to provide you with a certified copy of your passport and proof of address. This confirms that the copies they make for you are true copies of the originals. You should then enclose these with your letter of invite to your friend for him to submit with his visa application.I would do this rather than send your original passport. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your swift reply but my dilemma is that I do not have a passport because I have never travelled a ball broad I have never left England and never needed a passport I do have a driving license birth certificate tenancy agreements et cetera et cetera but I do not have a passport even though I was born in England
That fine. If you have a photocard driving licence then you should ask for a certified copy of that instead of your passport. This should be referred to in the letter stating that you enclose it as proof of your identity in the absence of your passport
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you