How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a British citizen, born of British parents.

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I am a British citizen, born of British parents. I have a British passport. I was born Cyprus under British Military rule. My husband of 5 years holds a South African passport. His grandfather was British and served the British army under British Military rule. His mother was born in Bangalore.
Does he in any way qualify for a British passport? He is an airline captain and we are thinking of moving to the UK in time.
Kind regards,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
It seems that your husband is not a British Citizen.
Your husband has 2 options:
1) apply for a spouse settlement visa through marriage to you; or
2) apply for an ancestry visa through his UK born grandparent.
Once he has lived in the Uk for 5 years and gets indefinite leave to remain, he may apply for British Citizenship.
Hope this helps