How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a filipino, i came to the UK in May 2006 with my Husband

This answer was rated:

I am a filipino, i came to the UK in May 2006 with my Husband and Daughter.
My Husband is British, my last visa expires 31 JULY 2015.
I wish to become a British citizen, do i have to have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
Before i can become a British citizen.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Yes, if you are the spouse of a UK citizen then you will have to meet the spouse requirements to natuarlise as a UK citizen. These are here:
You will see in the first set of bullet points (penultimate bullet point) that there is a requirement that you must have obtained “indefinite leave to stay in the UK”, this means that you must hold ILR at the date you apply for naturalisation.
So, once you have ILR you can apply for naturalisation provided that you meet the requirements on the above page.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you