How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7724
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I live in Dubai and are relocating back to the UK Aberdeen

Customer Question

I live in Dubai and are relocating back to the UK Aberdeen Scotland and wish to take my maid who is Filipino back to the Uk with me, have been told I can but only for 6months I wish her to be in UK permanent please advise
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
The only provision in the immmigration rules to specifically cover domestic works is a "domestic work in a private household visa":
Unfortunately, the home office that you have spoken to are correct in that this is a temporary visa and they can stay for only up to 6 months.
There is no way around this unfortunately. It stems from the policy that jobs in the UK should be filled by the exisint resident labour force, rather than cheaper non-UK staff.
People have attempted to get around it by attempting to sponsor such worker for Tier 2 General Sponsored Skilled Worker visas, but this fails because the eligiblity criteria indicate that the employment role is not one on the "jobs in shortage occupation list" which is required to be eligible.
I really am sorry, but it's 6 months maximum or nothing at all unfortunately.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,