How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter is non-EU citizen and resides in UK as dependent

This answer was rated:

My daughter is non-EU citizen and resides in UK as dependent of EU citizen since September 29, 2010. She is 20 years old and a full time University student. She has got a residence card of a Family Member of an EEA National.
I am as a father not qualified yet for permanent residency as I do not meet 5 year residency requirement because I was traveling too much that year and was absent more than 450 days if we calculate qualification period from September 2010 unto now. All other requirements such as Job, comprehensive insurance, home, links to UK are all in place as per regulations.
My daughter is OK for that. She was almost all time in UK without any absence.
Can she apply for permanent Residency independently from me as Sponsor in September 2015 or she has to wait until I will apply for Permanent Residence myself once I can do that?
Thanks for your patienc.
When did she obtain her residence card please?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Entered UK 5th September 2010. Formally delivered application to UKBA on 06th September 2010. UKBA accepted receipt 20th September. The card itself was issued 19th December 2010.
Thanks. I will be able to answer at 930am..
Kind regards,
Sorry, one last question.
What were the reasons for why you were outside of the UK? Was it exclusively due to your job in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reason was simple I was travelling out of UK for business and sometimes for private reasons.

The daughter remained in UK attending a school.

I did not breach the residency absence or other requirements. I can apply myself for permanent resident card only in January 2016 or later when my days are OK for 5 years qualifying period or not to apply at all as it is not obligatory for EU citizen who can be qualified as permanent resident automatically after 5 years interrupted period in UK.

The question is simple - can she apply on her own or she must wait for me?

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
No. She must wait for you to apply for permanent residence and then apply for it herself. So, you should apply for confirmation of PR at the earliest opportunity, which seems to be January 2016. Then your daughter should apply for PR immediately after.
I would suggest that if her residence card is to run out before January 2016 that she applies for a further residence card at this.
Provided you apply for PR and she also does she will be fine if you are both eligible at the time you apply.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you