How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife and her 2 children are moving to the UK from Trinidad

This answer was rated:

My wife and her 2 children are moving to the UK from Trinidad & Tobago (commonwealth country) to live with me (a Swedish / EU citizen) on basis of an EEA Family Visa.
Will the children have the right to go to UK state schools?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Yes, of course. All children have the right to attend state (comprehensive) schools in the UK. This is the case even if the children are illegally in the UK (your children would obviously not be illegal anyway).
Useful links for how you can apply for a place once they are here:
You will have to apply for a place and once they are here they can registered and start attending school.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for helping me. I found this information regarding non-EEA children so I was not sure if they would have the right.

I am not their biological father but their mother and I are married so the children would be under the EEA Family Visa as well. They are also Commonwealth citizen so I was not sure if that mattered.

Thank you for your help,


Hi Christian,
Your children would be here under EEA rules even though they themselves are not EEA national, so the parts relating to non-EEA nationals are not really relevant to them.
Once they have their family permit and travel here they will be able to apply for a school place and attend.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you