How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife submitted an EEA direct family application

This answer was rated:

My wife submitted an EEA direct family application for her mum,but it was denied on the ground of failure to show dependency.They have lived together since my wife moved to the UK last year.
She is considering submitting a fresh application and addressing the issue of dependency properly but unsure of what documentary evidence would be needed to fulfil this requirement.How far back do the evidence need to go,in other words,do the evidence need to be historical or current at the time of submitting a fresh application.
Thanks for your patience.
To what extent is the mother actually dependent on your wide?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is responsible for her feeding,accommodation and most of her day to day expenses as she has no source of income.My wife and I are both in full time employment so are able to cater for this.



Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
In order to prove dependency you must show that the mother cannot lead an independent life without assistance from your spouse. This means that you have to be able to show that she cannot financially/emotionally/socially get by without the support/money that your wife contributes.
You have to be able to show this with supporting documentary evidence. This means evidencing any medical condition which contributes to her lack of independence, evidence of transfer of money to her, evidence of her own financial situation. Additionally, you would all have to submit detailed statements outlining the circumstances historically which have resulted in her lack of independence and how you have come to provide her with money/care so that you effectively support her.
You would also have to show that there are no other family members in her home country who could possibly be able to provide the care.
I would strongly suggest that you instruct a solicitor to act on her behalf in preparing the evidence for the new application.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you