How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
Immigration Law
This answer was rated:

One of my employees has just obtained her permanent

Hello. One of my employees... Show More
Hello. One of my employees has just obtained her permanent residency in the UK. She is from an EEA country. She would now like to work towards obtaining her full citizenship. Whilst she has been here legally for the last 5 years (hence being able to obtain her permanent residency), she was here illegally for about 12 years prior. She initially came here legally as an aupair but then overstayed. She stated this fully on her permanent residency application. My question is .... will this illegal time spent in the UK rule her out from obtaining her citizenship? Thank you.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Immigration Law Question
No, it will not, her citizenship application will be based on her lawful residence in the UK, not illegal residence.
Hope this helps