How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter-in-law is Chinese, married to my son, a British

This answer was rated:

My daughter-in-law is Chinese, married to my son, a British Citizen; they have been married for 10 years, and have a son who is a British citizen, and they all live in France. She has a schengen work visa. Yet she cannot visit the UK on holiday without going to the expense of getting a visa for every visit. Is there any way round this?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Yes, there is.
She should apply for a multi-entry visit visa. This is a visit visa but grant over either a 2, 5 or 10 year period. It means that the person can enter the UK on it as many times as they like (at whatever intervals they like) provided that they do not stay in the UK more than 6 months in any 12 month period.
This would allow her to enter without applying for further visas and as long as she never spends more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK she can continue to do this for the rest of the visa term.
This is confirmed by the final sentence on the following page under the section titled “How long you can stay“:
She will have to apply for the visa in the same way that she does for a simply visit visa now, except that she must tick the relevant length under the question “How long do you want your visa to be valid for?”.
This would be the best way forward given the current circumstances.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for this. You have confirmed largely what I thought. She has not done this to date because the company which deals with this does not guarantee that she will get a visa, and if she does not, it appears that she does not get her money back. Also it means that she has to go to Paris (she lives in Nice) with her husband, who has to be there with her, and because they have a very young child, they will have to take him with them - all very expensive when added up to the cost of a 10 year visa. Is there any way round having to go to Paris with the entire family. You used to be able to go to Marseilles, but apparently that is no longer possible. Any further advice would be appreciated. What I cannot understand is that all manner of asylum seekers can get in without a visa, while she, who is married to a UK citizen, cannot!

No, I think she will have to go to Paris again. However, if you apply for a ten year visa then she will only have to do this once when she applied.
If you she has used a visa company then I would not use it for this transaction. They are not as reliable as instructing a UK solicitor to preapre the application in my experience and I would consider contacting one and instructing them to prepare the application in advance.
Kind regards
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you