How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a Greek citizen. I am married to a British man by a civil

This answer was rated:

I am a Greek citizen. I am married to a British man by a civil ceremony in Scotland. I have lived and worked in Britain since 2005. I want to take out dual citizenship. I know that both Greece and Britain allow this, but I do not know what to do to start the process.
You need to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen using form AN. You need to have an English language qualification and have passed the life in the UK test, if you have done so, you may apply immediately.
See here for further information:
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does my marriage to a UK national make any difference to my naturalisation status? Even if I am married, am I still at risk of losing my resident status in the UK when it leaves the EU?

The only difference is that the residency period is shorter if you are married to a UK national I.e. 3 years instead of 5 years, for UK naturalisation.
In your case, it makes no difference as you have been here since 2005.
No risk of losing your status if the UK exits the EU.
All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Answer rating: Good