How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My girlfriend has lived in england years now and already

This answer was rated:

hi my girlfriend has lived in england for 6 years now and already has an ILR
she has worked on and off all the 6 years
we are wanting to apply for citizanship but not sure what is required does she have to sit an b1 exam or is she exempt because she has lived n worked here for more than 5 year
Can she speak the language?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she can speak English quite well she also has a entry 2 certificate we did a mock test on internet for English test n she came out "upper intermediate " we are not sure if the law changed in April 2015 and she now had to take entry 3 or b1 exam also we here it is changing again in November can you give us the right criteria . Or like I asked is she exempt because of the years she has lived n worked in England many thanks mharcais. ps also she has just read this by herself with no problems .
Thanks for your response. What country does she come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. If she has an English qualification at B1, B2, C1 or C2 she won't need to sit the English language test.
She will have to sit the life in the UK test and attain a 75% pass or better.
Happy to discuss.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She already has a pass cert for indefinite leave to remain she did this live in in uk test 5 years ago ALso a entry 2 cert . so what we are wanting to know is does she still need to sit a b1 or entry 3 asol or or these good enough to apply for uk citizenship Many thanks Mharcais
No, if she has at least the minimum certification already she doesn't have to sit any additional tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this apply for after April 2015 as we was told home office Had change the rules and now require b1 or entry 3 level . Mharcais
I would clarify that with whoever told you. The changes to immigration rules are published here:
and I can find no reference to what you are referring to.
JGM and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you