How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

There,I would like to ask a question related to my immigration

Customer Question

Hi there,
I would like to ask a question related to my immigration case with UK Visas and Immigration.
I recently applied for Discretionary Leave to Remain Extension (3 years, based on old rules before July 2012). Previous application was on article 8 and article 3. Because mental health issues were raised in my application and few reports (from NHS) were provided to HO for consideration. Now I see private consultant in his private practice.
UKVI recently wrote me a letter asking for most recent up-to-date medical report so they can consider my extension application. My question is, does UKVI accepts a medical report from a private consultant? In my case if I use that report from private consultant will UKVI accept it because previously I used NHS reports? Can it be an issue, considering that in the letter sent by UKVI there is no mention that it must be from NHS, all they asked for is " up-to-date report from your doctor".
Please note that the consultant I see now also works for NHS on the same post, is registered with general medical council and is also on the register of Royal college of psychiatrists. But I see him in his private practice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Discretionary leave to remain is as the name suggests, discretionary, so it depends on what evidence you are able to present in support of your application.
If you were previously issued with Discretionary leave to remain for 3 years, you should receive an extension for another 3 years provided your personal circumstances have not changed.
You have the right to choose which doctor to see and as long as your consultant is qualified, it does not matter that the consultant is private and not working on the NHS.
You should send your consultants qualifications and registration details together with the report on your medical condition.
Hope this helps and good luck