How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'm a non-EEA national wanting to apply Residence

This answer was rated:

I'm a non-EEA national wanting to apply for Permanent Residence (PR) after residing in UK for the past five years.
I came to UK as a dependent (parent - mother) of a EEA national.
I no longer live with my daughter. My sister and I live together and we look after our 85 year old mother and we both work (I work part time).
I would like to know how I can apply for PR independently as at present my daughter has cut herself off from the family and does not wish to be contacted.
How long have you lived apart from your daughter in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello JA,

It will be 3 years in October that my daughter (now 30 years of age) asked not to be contacted and moved house and changed job.

Next few days I'm off work and can be contacted on my mobile:


I am afraid you need to be living with your daughter for 5 years before you qualify for PR. Your daughter also needs to be exercising treaty rights in the UK.
I do not see any other way you qualify for PR I am afraid, sorry
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what do you mean by ....'Your daughter also needs to be exercising treaty rights in the UK.'?

Your daughter does not have an automatic right to live in the Uk for more than 3 months, she needs to be working, studying, or be self sufficient in the UK I.e. Exercising treaty rights.