How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My fiancé has a Mauritian passport although born in Zimbabwe.

This answer was rated:

My fiancé has a Mauritian passport although born in Zimbabwe. He is currently working in UAE and will be visiting me at the end of July this year. I have visited him in Zimbabwe and UAU.
We intend to marry and settle in the UK. I am a UK national by UK birth (born and living in Scotland) This would be a same sex marriage. I have had conflicting advice.
1. He could come here in July and we could marry if he applied for a visitors marriage visa and then we could apply for "family of a settled person" visa allowing him to come to the Uk to live and work.
2. He can apply for a "family of a settled person" visa, then move here in December when we would marry which would allow him to work.
Perhaps you can advise the visas we need to apply for and the sequence of theses visas.
Thank you for looking at my enquiry.
A marriage visit visa would only permit you to Marry him in the UK but he would not be able to live in the UK as this is a visit visa and he would have to return back home.
He needs to apply for a fiancée visa I.e. Family of a settled person, see here
This visa will be for 6 months in which time you must get married in the UK, after marriage, he would need to apply for further leave to remain as your spouse.
You need to have a minimum income of £18600 per annum to sponsor him for the fiancée visa.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I understand that he would not be able to stay after he married under the marriage visa and would return to UAE. Would he then be able to apply for "family of a settled person" visa or would that be seen as trying to get round the system of applying for two full visa?

If he returns back to the UAE and applies for a spouse visa from there, that is fine, absolutely no problem with that.
Hope this clarifies
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. I really appreciate your help.