How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British citizen. My wife is Indonesian. We live part

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen. My wife is Indonesian. We live part of the year in Indonesia and part of the year in Singapore. As my mother is getting older, we wish to spend more time in the UK, with a view to living here opermanently eventually. What sort of a visa should we be applying for for my wife? Thanks!!!
Thanks for your patience.
If you simply want to be able to spend more time here with your wife but not permanently then I would suggest that she applies for a long term multi entry visit visa. This can be granted over a period of 1, 2, 5 or 10 years and would allow her to enter/leave the UK as many times as she liked during the visa term but subject to teh requirement that she must not spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK.
The entry clearance officials are suspicious that wives of UK citizens applying for visit visas will stay permanently so you have to supply as much information as you can about her compelling social/family ties outside the UK which will compel her to leave the UK when she enters on a visit visa.
If she/you wish to stay permanently then she will have to apply for spouse visa.
The webpage on spouse visas is here:
• you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
• your partner is a British Citizen, or is present and settled in the UK, or is here with refugee leave or humanitarian protection;
• your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
• you and your partner have met in person;
• your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsistingif you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
• if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;
• you meet the suitability requirements
• any previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);
• you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
• You must meet the financial requirement:-
• This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.
Additionally, because the fiance/spouse visa applicaiton that you would make requires an exemption from the financial requirement I would also strongly suggest that you instruct a uk based immigration solicitor in order to draft the applicatoin and advise you on the necessary supporting documentation.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you