How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Son was born in Thailand and is living there with his mother.

This answer was rated:

My Son was born in Thailand and is living there with his mother. They have lived there for 3 years since before he was born. She is now threatening to move to the UK just to claim benefits from me... Is she entitled to do this?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
She can only move to the Uk if she can meet the usual visa requirements.
However she can claim maintenance whichever country she is living in
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has a British passport through a previous marriage so not the problem. So what you are saying is that even thou my son wasn't born here, even thou she has never lived here with my son she can come to the UK at anytime, go into temporary housing and then apply to the CSA for full maintenance support?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I paid £20 and did not get a full answer

I am sorry that you feel that my service was bad meaning that I get no credit for my time and does not trigger a refund
If your ex has a British Passport then she can indeed come here whenever she wishes and you cannot prevent her from doing so
Whether she stays here or not she can claim Child Maintenance.
If she decides to stay in the UK she can use the CMS (new CSA) if she intends to return home then she can apply to the courts.
Your liability will be 12% of your gross income at most
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you