How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am retired specialized surgeon from Iraq, stayed and

Customer Question

Hi I am retired specialized surgeon from Iraq, stayed and studied in the UK 1969 to 1975 practically continuously, I am 70 years old ,single,with good finance income from my country,I wish to stay for long time in the uk with out any obligations from the British government .
And to invest in the uk , please advice me.
Best regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Are you in a relationship with anybody and if so what is their nationality? how much money in pounds sterling do you have to invest in the uk?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no relationship with any body I can invest 500000 pounds sterling at the beginning, What is the minimum amount required as a fIrst step, advice me please, Best regards
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Unfortunately, there is no visa which allows retirement in the UK.
If you are not in a relationship with any person with the right to be in the UK then your only option would be to obtain a work visa.
Generally, there are two options.
The first is a Tier 2 general visa:
This is where an employer sponsors you to come here and fill an employment role. The job would either have to be on the shortage occupation list ( or the employer would have to carry out a resident labour force test in order to prove that there are no existing members of the resident labour market in the UK that can fill the role.
If you get this offer of sponsorship from an employer then you could apply if you met the remaining eligibility criteria:
The second is a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa. This is where you propose to start a business in the UK and invest money in to that business, effectively you are investing money in the UK business economy. You will see that the webpage on this is here:
The eligibility criteria is here:
You will note that if you investing from your own funds then the requirement is that you must demonstrate that you have £200, 000.00 for investment in a UK business.
This visa is complicated to apply for because you have to demonstrate the business plan and business itself (together with funds) in order to apply. If you are considering applying under this visa then the best thing to do would be to instruct a UK based immigration solicitor in order to prepare the application and supporting evidence on your behalf.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,