How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I've had my indefinite leave to remain since March 2015.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I've had my indefinite leave to remain since March 2015. I have recently found out my partner has been unfaithful and I wish to divorce him but I am worried this might effect my chance of applying for my British passport. Could you advice me on what my options are available.
Thanks for your question.
I assume that you obtained ILR after being on a spouse visa.
When did you arrive in the UK on your spouse visa?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I arrived in the UK as a student in 2009. I got married in December 2011. My partner has a settlement visa and ILR too.
Top clarify: have you been legally in the UK (ie. continuously on visas with no breaks) since June 2010?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas
I have been in the u.k since December 2009. I got married in 2011 before my visa expired in April 2012.
So, there have been no gaps in your leave to remain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct Thomas.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
People who are married to UK citizens when they apply for naturalisation have to meet the requirements on the following page:
People who are NOT married have to meet the following requirements, which are a bit different:
This means that if you have divorced your husband before the date you apply for naturalisation then you have to show that you have been legally in the UK for 5 years and have not breached the other residential requirements on the above link. I assume that you meet these and so there is no issue here.
However, you will not on the above link that you also have to show that you have been free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months when you apply. Therefore, you would have to wait until you have held ILR for 12 months before you apply so you would only be able to apply some time in March 2012.
If you were still married to your husband then you would not have to show that you have held ILR for 12 months and could apply straight aware provided you meet the requirements in the first link above.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** confirm that I can file a divorce as soon as possible eventhough I only got my ILR/settlement for 3months?
ILR is generally only revoked where it is apparent that the marriage was not genuine and credible, essentially that the marriage was a "sham" married for the purpose of obtaining ILR.
Obviously, you considered the marriage to be genuine and it seems that the problem is with your husband. If I were you I would wait a few more months before actaully applying for divorce though, to be on the safe side.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you