How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Visa Question: I want to apply leave to remain

Customer Question

Visa Question:
I want to apply for indefinite leave to remain visa. I am currently an Australian Citizen who move to the UK in July 2010. I arrived in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa. 22 months later I applied for a Tier 2 General visa and travel back to Australia for 2 months while the visa was processed. July 2012 I arrived back in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa and have been here ever since.
I am wondering if I am eligible for indefinite leave to remain now as I have been here a total of 5 years or if I need to be here another 2 years to be eligible.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I am afraid that no time spent on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa is eligible to be counted towards ILR. This is because this category is not one from which you can obtain ILR.
Therefore, the earliest time at which you could be eligible to apply for ILR would be 5 years after you arrived here on your tier 2 visa, because this is a category which is eligible for ILR.
Therefore, you must wait until 2017 I’m afraid.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,