How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I need to apply British Passport. My father was born

This answer was rated:

I need to apply for a British Passport. My father was born in Britain and did not receive American citizenship until 1951, I was born in 1949. How do I go about doing this?
Thanks for your patience.
Were you born in the us?
Were your mother and father married at the time of your birth?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I was born in the US. My father and mother were married at the time of my birth.

I have meeting now for about half and hour and should be able to answer shortly thereafter
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If it is the case that your father was born in the UK before 1983 and was married to your mother at the time of your birth outside the UK, then you should qualify to apply for a UK passport.
This is because you would probably be regarded as a uk citizen “by descent”. Citizenship was permitted to descend one generation to persons born outside the UK provided that their father was married to their mother.
This means that you will have all the same rights as other UK citizens except that you are not able to pass on your citizenship automatically to such of your own children that are born outside the UK.
This means that you should be able to apply for a Uk passport provided that you can prove the facts of your case by documentary evidence.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you