How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have pr in UK now but before I was illegale can I apply for

This answer was rated:

I have pr in UK now but before I was illegale can I apply for citizen ship after one year
When did you come to the UK?
What visas did you hold?
Which have you obtained "indefinite leave to remain" or "permanent residence"?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I came to UK in 10 December 2002 as visa tourist for 6 months I have been illegale till 2010 and now I just received my pr residence on June 2015 because I am married to Spanish
You said you were illegal until 2010.
Does this mean that you obtained an EEA residence card in 2010?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was married in 06/02/2010 and I had my eea residence card on 14/ 02 /2011 and after that I ip played for pr residence on 02/2015 and now I just got my permanent residence this week and it says it's valid till 2025 so please could you tell me if I can apply for British citizenschip next year or I have to Waite more because I was illegal ?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The requirements to naturalise are contained on the following page:
If you received your residence card on 14/02/2011 then you have been legally in the UK since this date. This means that you have complied with the immigration rules since this date.
In order to naturalise the most sensible thing to do would be to wait until you reach 5 years from 14/02/2016. However, you will note there is a requirement that you must have had Permanent Residence for at least 12 months at the date you apply.
So, assuming that you got your permanent residence last week then you will have to wait until the same day in 2016 until you actually apply, because only at that point will you have held it for 12 months.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you mean that I am able to apply next year and I don't need to Waite more then a year
No. You need to wait for 12 months from the date that you receive PR (which you have said was last week),.
So, you should be able to apply at some point in July 2016.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do I need to apply for British citizenschip ?
You need to meet the eligibility criteria on the above link.
Details on how to apply are contained in the following link:
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you