How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have ILR &been in the uk since April 2009. I have

This answer was rated:

I have ILR &been in the uk since April 2009.
I have had a letter sent to me first time I came in to the UK says that you are not allowed to travel back to your origin country, & if you do you may have your ILR revoked.
Now I want to apply for british citizenship, but the only thing that worrys me, I went to my origin country for 1year I used my own passport , when I came back at the airport they let me in without any problems after they saw my passport & the ILR.
So would that be a problem if when I apply for british citizenship??
I know some people they had the same letter I had, they traveled back to their country when they came back they got the british citizenship so really am confused now.
Please I want clear & good answer
Thanks for your patience.
What year did you spend in SA please?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went back Dec 2012 then came back Nov 2013. I dont think which year will matter to the question I asked!! Dont know what you mean by SA!?

Can you Please answer my question?

One more question then I will be able to answer. It's relevant (I do this for a living, trust me).
When did you obtain ILR?
Are you married to a UK citizen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got it in Apr 2009. Am single never been married.

I came with my father on the same date above, he was offered ILR in the Uk & so he can bring his family as he was working before with the british army back in my origin country.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
They have to give the letter that you refer to in order to make people aware that they may lose their ILR if they stay out of the UK for long periods of time.
In order to apply for naturalisation and obtain UK citizenship you would have to meet the criteria on the following link:
You will note that the residential requirements are outlined at the second set of bullet points. As part of the criteria there is a resitriction that you must not have spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the 5 years before the date you apply.
So, if you spent a year outside the UK then you are already up to 365 days. If you have spent a further 85 days within the previous 5 years outside of the UK then you cannot apply yet and must spend a bit more time in the UK until these days have decreased to below 450.
If you meet the criteria then you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know what you have said already & the link for the website.

So are you still sure, going back to my origin country wont matter, but only if i went over the 450 days in the last 5years. I only went there for 1year as I said no more days spent out side the Uk.

You should still be okay, but you should state why you spent the time outside the UK and that during that time you intended it to be temporary only and that you considered the UK as your permanent place of residence.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, Thank you for your answers.