How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My wife is a German citizen who has resided in the UK -some

This answer was rated:

My wife is a German citizen who has resided in the UK for forty-some years, first as the wife of a British barrister, and subsequently as his widow, until our marriage of a few year ago. Residing in the UK ,she is understood to be exercising treaty rights as an EEA national; and the Home Office has recognized my status as the non EEA national, noting that I may reside here only during the time that my wife maintains "Treaty Status". My question is: What is Treaty Status, how do you acquire it, and how do you lose it once acquired?.
Note: I started to pose this question a few minutes ago, but the realized the web site had not recognized me as a subscriber, as I had not logged in.
Your wife is a permanent resident in the UK having lived here for longer than 5 years.
As long as she does not leave the UK for more than 2 years, she will continue to be a permanent residence and therefore you have the right to reside in the UK with her as her spouse.
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

UKsolicitor JA only

Thanks for your response to my earlier question, to which I'd like to add another. Namely, with citizenship in one country (Germany); permanent residence status in a second (the U.K.), would acquiring permanent residence status in another (US) interfere with her ongoing permanent residence status in the UK, if we maintained a home/residence in the UK, and the US, with substantial physical presence in each?

I am afraid you cannot be permanent resident in 2 countries at the same time.
All the best, ***** ***** feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.