How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7719
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Dear Layer, I married my long term partner in Jamaica a

This answer was rated:

Dear Layer,
I married my long term partner in Jamaica a month ago, and as he was used to coming to the uk for a month holiday each year, I want to know if he will still be allowed a visitors
vista to visit me sometime this year?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Basically, he can still apply but it is a bit more difficult.
The reason that it is more difficult is because you are married the home office may be suspicious that he will attempt to stay permanently once he is here on a visit visa, effectively that it is a spouse visa entry by stealth.
This means that you have to try and show them that he has continuing obligations in his home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay because he at present has compelling family and social/work ties to his home country which mean that he will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst he is visiting. Things like a letter from her employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money she has available, letters from relatives/friends confirming any obligations he has to them.
If you are based in the UK and will assist him during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are married you both know that he MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.
Provided you do this then you will give him a good chance of getting a visit visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you