How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35215
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am British and live in uk. My son was born in uk in 1981.

This answer was rated:

I am British and live in uk. My son was born in uk in 1981. His father is Malaysian and my son lived there most of his life I was there too for a long period. Can my son get a British passport and take up residence in uk.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where were you born?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forfar Scotland. I am British with British parents and lived there till I was 23. My name is ***** ***** At age 23 I went to Malaysia and married my Malaysian husband .... I had 2 children. One born in Malaysia in 79 then adrian was born in uk in 81 while my husband was doing his masters degree. I have been back living in Scotland and working from 2001 to present. My son Adrian may or may not want to live in uk but what he wants now is to apply for a British passport. It's my understanding that he can be a British citizen by birth and by heredity. Is this correct? How can he apply for the passport. He is currently living and working in a steady job in tkuala lumpur
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Clare. I think there's been a hold up with comms because I'm in a different time zone from you right now. Am in Singapore on holiday - the time difference is 7 hours hence my slow reply yesterday. By 3-4pm our time it's possible we can connect again? Ie 8-9am with you.... Let me know if you need more info
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer given
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I please have an answer ?..
My apologies for the delay.
Your son is entitled to a UK passport by virtue of your being a UK citizen (indeed both your children can)
He simply needs to apply for a Uk passport and provide evidence of your nationality.
Since he was born in the UK he simple need sto apply using the standard form - your other child would need a different one
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this info. Does having a UK passport also mean that there will be no restriction on Adr***** *****ving and working in UK if he chooses to do so?
That is correct