How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 103399
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

I am looking advice as to how to go about the process

This answer was rated:

Hi I am looking for some advice as to how to go about the process of moving to the USA to be with my American partner, I currently reside in the United Kingdom and we need some as to what to do first.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature. I would be happy to help you with this. What exactly do you wish to know? Also, are you married to your partner, or not?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, thank you for the reply, I am not currently married to my partner, he is an American citizen living in Ohio, I currently live in Essex, UK. We have been in a relationship for two years now and have made trips back and forth across the Atlantic which, as I am sure you can imagine, is expensive and frustrating every time we have to say goodbye.

We have made the decision to take the relationship further and it would me that I would need to reloate there as he has a career and his own home which he owns.

We are not currently married and we are wondering if it would make it easier to get into the United States if we are married or to go as a fiance and then make plans to marry once we are there.

As we are both new to this and haven't the first idea what is actually involved in the process we would appreciate any help or advice that you could offer and point us in the right direction of where to apply etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards


Okay Jeannie. So my first question is - would you be willing to get married? Because, that is pretty much the only way he can sponsor you, unless you get employed by someone in USA.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ely We would definitely be willing to get married and he is prepared to sponsor me. He is finance director of a healthcare company and has the means to sponsor me. I would want to work over there at some point to keep independence but we don't know how to go about this.



Thank you. LAST question.Will you be marrying in USA after he sponsors you to come over to marry, or, will you be marrying abroad (or in USA and then you will go back to UK) and then he will sponsor you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well we are not sure the best way to proceed. Does it make it easier to marry outside the USA? Also how does he go about sponsoring me? I take it that means he would be financially responsible for me? We just want to do whatever it takes. We just want to make sure we don't do anything that might hinder the process. Thank you. Jeannie.

Thank you.There are two options.OPTION ONEYou come over on a K1 fiance visa after he petitions for you on it. Wait time is about 4-6 months. Then he petitions for your greencard after you marry him in USA. Wait time for greencard is about 6 months.FIANCE GUIDE FLOWCHART GUIDE OPTION TWOMarry outside USA (or inside USA, but with assurances to USCIS - the US immigration authority - that you will not be overstaying), and then he petitions for your greencard based on marriage. Wait time - about 6 months.GREENCARD GUIDE on this option hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you