How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Thomas. Many thanks my question. My daughter

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas. Many thanks for entertaining my question. My daughter is British but has been out of UK for past few years. Her dad however has been in the UK for the past few years. Can she get a government student loan and grant? Most appreciated.

The fact that you have been living in the UK is not relevant.

What matters is that your daughter must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years to be eligible for student finance.

See here for further information:

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Thomas. I read the government website. It states that one can apply for finance if a family member is an EU national. In this case her father is British and residing in Britain:

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

  • EU national, or family member of an EU national

Many thanks. Most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

For student finance purposes, there are different rules for EU and UK nationals I.e. UK nationals are not deemed to be EU nationals.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you